Los Angeles, November 28:Hollywood star-turned-California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger owes more than $79,000 in back taxes, according to a popular gossip Website TMZ.com, citing a document filed in Los Angeles County where the governor and his family live.
Governor owes tax
TMZ revealed Friday morning that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) filed a federal tax lien against the governor in Los Angeles County Superior Court last spring seeking $79,000.
On its Website, TMZ posted a “notice of federal tax lien” filed in May by IRS with the Los Angeles County Recorder’s Office. The document shows that Schwarzenegger owes $39,047 in taxes, fines or penalties from 2004 and $40,016 from 2005.
The IRS document lists the debtor as Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has been Governor of California since 2003, with his home address in Brentwood.
Arnold camp refutes IRS claims
However, Schwarzenegger’s office denies owing any money in back taxes, insisting the issue is related to “a minor paperwork tracking discrepancy,” and will be cleared up soon.
“The governor had not been notified of any discrepancy or of the lien until today,” the governor’s spokesperson, Aaron McLear said in a statement Friday.
“The governor is resubmitting certain information to the IRS and we fully expect that the matter will be resolved and the lien expunged without any penalty assessed upon the governor.”
He said the issue is “completely unrelated to the payment of taxes, which the governor has paid in full and on time.”
The lien on Schwarzenegger’s property reportedly is related to section 6721 of the Internal Revenue Code, which suggests the debt may be penalties for a “Failure to file correct information returns.”
Dean Patterson, an IRS spokesman, says the agency could not comment on individual cases.
Earlier this week, the Terminator star-turned-politician hit the headlines for violating the rules of the road. The photos of his Porsche illegally parked in a red zone were making rounds all over the Web in recent days. However, he later realized his parking blunder and apologized saying “No one is perfect — not even me.”
Before this his wife Maria Shriver was caught making the same violation. In October, she was caught on video parking her Cadillac Escalade in a red zone in Santa Monica.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger vows to ride on after motorbike crash Arnold Schwarzenegger has returned to work although doctors had advised...
- Arnold Schwarzenegger introduces paparazzi law California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger introduces paparazzi law. Accoding to the...
- Arnold might be back for 'Terminator Salvation' .!. Arnold Schwarzenegger might be back, after all. In Tuesday’s...
- Schwarzenegger jet makes quick landing LOS ANGELES, June 20 (UPI) — California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger‘s...
- Suit denies sexual encounter on Oprah Winfrey’s jet A flight attendant on Oprah Winfrey‘s private jet who was...